Scope & Purpose: The purpose of this document is to give the subject employee a comprehensive listing of the duties and responsibilities associated with the Furnace Operator position. This document establishes the level of education, experience, and training required to carryout the assignments required for this position.
Position/Title: Furnace Operator
Reports To: Shift Leader
Principle Purpose of Job: Assist in heat treat shop activities by performing the following duties:
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Supervises or performs selection of product per QF104 RMT Daily Process Furnace Schedule for their assigned Furnace line, or as directed by management.
- Reviews product selected for quantity and weight of parts, to note any damaged, defective, or suspect material. Notifies shift leader of any damaged, defective or suspect material.
- Supervises or performs moving product to proper staging areas.
- Supervises or performs selection of fixturing or baskets, reviewing for acceptable use conditions. (Follow procedures for alloy in need of repair)
- Supervises or performs the racking of scheduled materials, parts, or products from customer containers, onto fixtures or into baskets to facilitate heat treat processing per work instructions.
- Completes all necessary paperwork to document the different phases of processing. Any deviations from the normal established parameters must be communicated to the shift leader immediately to determine the proper intervention procedure.
- Supervises or performs unload of material, parts, or product from fixtures and baskets after heat treat process, replace into proper container per work instructions.
- Complies with all quality related procedures and work instructions. Placement and pulling of lab samples. Monitoring all of the quality system requirements by performing all job functions per established quality procedures and work instructions. Communicating to the shift leader any deviations and suggestions for improvement in existing procedures and work instructions.
- Cooperates with any audits conducted internally or externally to assess compliance with designated procedures and work instructions.
- Maintains production rates, while ensuring production of quality work that meets or exceeds customer standards.
- Demonstrates results attainment by promptly finishing work, being cost conscious, persistent in meeting in-process deadlines, accurate in work situations, displays technical excellence and performs quality work.
- Maintains a clean work area to facilitate a safe, clean work environment. Follow all designated safety regulations. Supervises all personnel in his responsibility to keep area and supplies organized, and any staging or work area clean also.
- Complies with all the rules and regulations established in the RMT Employee Handbook and follow all directions from shift leaders and other management personnel.
- Display the job knowledge necessary to complete the designated job assignments.
- Understand and operate the furnace throughout the different phases of operation: start-up, during operation, emergency responses, furnace re-starts after power outages, and shutdown.
- Understand the different types of processing operations and the impact upon the product or parts in response to furnace operations, anomalies or deviant situations.
- Learn and understand the different type of metals and the effects the different types of processing and processing cycles can have on the finished product, and whether it will meet the customer required specifications.
- Communicate any deviation in the furnace operation to the shift leader immediately to determine the correct intervention procedure.
- Must possess the ability to read and interpret documents, procedure manuals, and safety literature.
- Must possess significant written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate well with others.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Must possess the ability to understand necessary processing calculations. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Education: High School education or equivalent
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, handle/feel, climb, balance and kneel. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift/move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.