Scope and purpose:The purpose of this document is to give a comprehensive listing of the duties and responsibilities associated with the Quality Manager position. This document establishes the level of education, experience, and training required to carry out the assignments required for this position.
Position/Title: Quality Manager
Reports To: General Manager
Principal Purpose of Job: Plan, coordinate, and direct the quality control program designed to ensure continuous production of sufficiently heat-treated components with established standards by performing or supervising the job functions listed below. These functions include but are not limited to:
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Periodically audits the quality control system documentation to identify and correct any discrepancies. Ensures the latest versions of internal and external documentations are being utilized.
- Makes necessary adjustments to any documents per quality procedures/work instructions for insertion into the quality system repository and at points-of-use.
- Maintains the electronic media files of secured documentation, files all historical retention data, and maintains files. Utilizes the record retention schedule to determine timetable for transferring active records to inactive or archival storage and/or for destroying obsolete records.
- With the assistance of upper management, updates and maintains the quality manual, process risk analysis, contingency plan, organizational context, and business plan complementary to corporate policies and goals.
- Develops and maintains a working relationship with customers. Responsible for arranging and conducting customer meetings or audits. Respond to all customer calls or emails in a timely manner to resolve quality inquiries or issues.
- Acts as a management representative to customers and auditors, maintains the record of customer specific requirements and communicates the requirements throughout the organization, and is responsible for scheduling, analyzing, tracking, and conducting necessary follow up on external and internal audits.
- Responsible for creating quality notices and maintaining the quality notification boards. Files all signed quality notices and distributes the evidence to the customer and RMT management.
- Responsible for maintaining RMT’s IATF 16949 status by overseeing and responding to audit non- conformances with upper management input. Presents nonconformances found to the management team.
- Conducts and records the meeting notes for weekly management meetings and yearly management review.
- Responsible for the completion, with upper management input, and distribution of RMT’s CQI-9 to customers.
- Creates or modifies, in conjunction with other upper management personnel, inspection and sampling criteria on RMT’s Process Control Cards and procedures to meet RMT and customer requirements and specifications.
- Schedules test machine calibrations according to schedule and submits or oversees requisition for lab supplies as needed. Oversees or personally conducts gauge R and R studies.
- Tracks and calculates furnace efficiencies and downtime and tracks the cost of quality. Provides reports to upper management.
- Responsible for tracking KPIs in conjunction with other upper management personnel.
- Responsible for documentation of APQP.
- Responsible for the generation of PPAP documentation (Flow Diagrams, Control Plans, and PFMEAs). This includes interpretation and communication of customer specific requirements and any special characteristics. Calculates CPK, PPK, and manages SPC. Compiles the information to present to the customer and RMT management personnel.
- Responsible for organizing the plant data to submit for the SARA Title II and MAERS reports per state and federal regulations.
- Directly responsible, with other management input, for inspecting, investigating, isolating, and determining the root cause on all rejected/failed parts utilizing a disciplinary approach. This function includes the maintenance of the CAR log, the initiation of corrective or preventative actions including accessing any customer portals, recording updates and RMT’s response to each stage of the CAR/8D, and authorizing the release of quarantined material.
- Responsible for obtaining customer scorecards or surveys and distributing/communicating the ratings to upper management.
- Maintains, in conjunction with the Maintenance Manager or Director, the approved supplier list. Reviews and files all key supplier surveys.
- Follows and enforces all company rules and procedures stated in the RMT Employee Handbook and Quality Manual including safety, quality, delivery, housekeeping, and cost effectiveness.
- Displays results attainment by promptly finishing work, being cost conscientious, persistent in meeting in- process deadlines, accurate in work situations, displays technical excellence, and performs quality work.
- Must possess a minimum 5 years of experience in automotive industry quality or combined formal training commensurate to experience. Must possess a minimum of 2 years in management. Prefer experience in heat treat operations and metallurgical practices.
- Must possess the ability to read and interpret documents, blueprints, and safety literature. Must be familiar with the IATF 16949 standard. Prefer familiarity with CQI-9 requirements.
- Must be familiar with 8D completion and root cause analysis techniques.
- Must be familiar with PPAP documentation.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to speak before groups of customers and/or employees.
- Must be able to interpret and create charts and graphs.
- Ability to write reports and perform the calculations necessary for tracking quality/production performance.
- Must be fluent in the utilization of Microsoft based programs such as PowerPoint, Excel and Word. Must be familiar with statistical analysis tools.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in quality management, business, engineering, or related field.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand, sit, walk, handle/feel, climb, balance, and kneel. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift/move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Plant includes extremes in temperature.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Quality Manager Required Training Documents:
QF630N Skill Evaluation – Quality Manager
QW102 Advanced Quality Planning
QW113 Supplier Selectin Process
QW115 PPAP Process
QW119 Control of Inspection Measuring and Test Equipment
QW168 Lab Scope
QW242 Quench Oil Testing and Verification
QM001 Quality Manual
QP112 Record Control
QP126 Nonconforming Process
QP207 Emergency Action and Response Plan