Scope & Purpose: The purpose of this document is to give a comprehensive listing of the duties and responsibilities associated with the Quality Manager position. This document establishes the level of education, experience, and training required to carry out the assignments required for this position.
Position/Title: Quality Manager
Reports To: General Manager
Principal Purpose of Job: Plan, coordinate and direct quality control program designed to ensure continuous production of sufficiently heat-treated components with established standards by performing / supervising the job functions listed below.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Ensures latest versions of internal and/or external documentation are being utilized.
- Makes necessary adjustments to the documents per quality procedures/work instructions for insertion in the quality system repository and at points of use.
- Maintains electronic media files of secured documentation, files all historical retention data, and maintains files. Utilizes record retention schedule to determine timetable for transferring active records to inactive or archival storage and/or for destroying obsolete records.
- Periodically audits quality control system documentation to identify any discrepancies and correct if necessary.
- With the assistance of senior and upper management, formulates and maintains quality control objectives complementary to corporate policies and goals.
- Acting as management representative, communicates the quality system throughout the organization, and is responsible for scheduling, analyzing, tracking, and conducting necessary follow up on external and internal audits.
- When necessary creates/modifies inspection criteria and procedures.
- Provides and/or supervises inspection activities for product throughout the production cycle.
- Oversees timely maintenance scheduling regarding instrument calibrations.
- Develop and maintain a working relationship with customers and vendors.
- Responsible for setting quality objectives, in conjunction with upper management.
- Responsible for the generation of PPAP documentation (Flow Diagrams, Control Plans, PFMEA). This includes interpretation and communication of customer-specific requirements and any special characteristics.
- Responsible for documentation of APQP.
- Directly responsible, with other management input, for inspecting, investigating, isolating and determining root cause on all rejected/failed parts utilizing a disciplinary approach. This function includes the maintenance of the CAR log, authorizing the release of quarantined material, and the initiation of corrective/preventative actions.
- Responsible for distribution of customer scorecards to upper management and submission of any required documents to customer portals, when applicable.
- Responsible for the integration and supervision of other quality personnel and all lab personnel. This includes but is not limited to: training of inspection techniques, interview, and hiring, appraising performance, and rewarding/disciplining.
- Must possess a minimum of 5 years of experience in quality and heat treat operations and/or combined formal training in metallurgical practices. Must possess a minimum of 2 years in management. Must have experience in the automotive industry.
- Must possess the ability to read and interpret documents, blueprints, and safety literature. Must be familiar with the IATF 16949 standard.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to speak before groups of customers and/or employees.
- Must be fluent in the utilization of Microsoft based programs such as PowerPoint, Excel and Word. Must be familiar with statistical analysis tools.
Bachelor’s degree or higher in quality management, engineering, or related field.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand, sit, walk, handle/feel, climb, balance, and kneel. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift/move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.